How to Declare
We are pleased that you are considering a major or minor in Management Science and Engineering.
We believe our undergraduate curriculum is composed of a rigorous, interesting, and coherent set of courses. The training provided in these courses and in the balance of the undergraduate engineering program at Stanford provides a strong background for a variety of careers, as well as professional and graduate study, especially in engineering. Substantial math, statistics, and operations research courses are required in the program.
** Prospective undergraduates apply to the university through the Undergraduate Admissions Office — not directly to the Management Science and Engineering department.
Stanford undergraduates who wish to declare Management Science and Engineering as their major should review the following material:
Materials to Review
Office of the University Registrar
Information on Declaring Undergraduate Majors, Minors, and Interdisciplinary Honors.
The department's mission and nature of courses that comprise the major.
SoE Undergraduate Handbook
School of Engineering Information for majors and minors.
Instructions for Declaring
We are eager to help in the process of matching you to the major that is most appropriate to your interests and abilities. Therefore, before processing your paperwork as a "declared MS&E major," we would like to provide you with some counseling.
1) Complete the BS Counseling Form
2) Go into Axess and declare MS&E as your major. Your declaration will be routed to Lori Cottle, student services officer, for approval. Online approval will be given after steps 1-5 are completed.
3) Select an advisor from the list of available advisors, below. Lori is available to assist you with your selection.
4) Email the counseling form and an unofficial copy of your transcript to your selected MS&E advisor for a declaration advising session. The session may be via Zoom, phone, or email while we are off-campus.
5) Email the completed, signed form to Lori, who will then approve your online declaration. You will be sent an automatic email from the system after final approval has been given.
6) Lori is happy to assist you in creating a four-year plan.