How to Apply
Application instructions for New and Current Students are the same for PhD, MS, and HCP (part-time MS) applications. This page describes the application process for those three programs.
How to apply for PhD, MS, and HCP (part-time MS)
Required application materials
- Statement of Purpose; should be no more than two pages single-spaced
- Letters of Recommendation (3); recommenders continue to have access to submit letters after the application is submitted, but must upload their letter no later than two weeks after the application deadline
- Transcripts (scanned)
1) Please include the back of the transcript, if it contains a grading scale. Please also include a class rank, and gpa, if available.
2) For completed degrees, you must include a degree certificate or diploma if the transcript does not show conferral of the degree.
3) You are welcome to include transcripts from schools you attended part-time or less than one year, if that is information you would like us to have. For example, students who have taken courses part-time at Stanford in the Non-Degree Option program should list Stanford as an institution and upload the Stanford transcript.
4) See below for information regarding Official Transcripts.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
-Application Fee of $125 (nonrefundable). See eligibility requirements for Graduate Fee Waivers.
- The GRE is optional for applicants who apply to matriculate in Autumn 2021 and Autumn 2022. Please keep in mind that if you do not have a quantitative degree, and do not submit the GRE, you may need to highlight your quantitative background to be competitive.
- Official GRE scores are normally required of all applicants, regardless of education or work experience. The GRE must be taken by the application deadline to be included in the review.
- We must receive official scores from ETS for the GRE to be considered in the review. Please notify us if the name or birthdate on your application does not match the name or birthdate on your test scores.
- School Code: 4704
- Please see the Office of Graduate Admissions site for exemptions and the TOEFL Waiver Request form.
- We must receive the official scores from ETS. Please notify us if the name or birthdate on your application does not match the name or birthdate on your test scores.
- School Code: 4704
We must receive one final official transcript from each institution listed on the application for admitted students who accept the offer of admission. Do not send official transcripts until after you have accepted an offer of admission.
Do not send hard copies of anything to the department, as we are not currently working from our office, and cannot receive mail or deliveries.
- It is not necessary to consult or correspond with a Stanford faculty member regarding your application.
- We frequently have trouble with Hotmail blocking email from Stanford, so you may want to use a different email provider for your application. We occasionally have trouble with email we send to Gmail accounts being categorized as spam, so please be sure to check your spam folders for email from us.
-Optional Abstract of Paper; no more than two pages single-spaced, including a link to the full paper
Review your application and uploads carefully before you submit. We are unable to upload a revised version of your CV or statement of purpose after you have submitted your application.
Check your status
Log back into your online application to view your application status and decision on your application activity page and checklist. We are unable to reply individually to queries about application status, and applicants cannot see if items are received before submitting the application.
Official transcripts and official test scores received after the deadline will not have any negative impact on the review of your application, as long as the unofficial transcripts and test scores are provided in the online application by the deadline. Letters of recommendation received after the deadline will still be attached to your application, but we cannot guarantee they will be seen by the Admissions Committee if they arrive more than two weeks after the application deadline.