Graduate Application Information and Instructions
This applies to all graduate applicants to the Department of Management Science and Engineering, with the exception of current Stanford undergraduate students. Current Stanford undergraduate students should follow the Coterm instructions.
Applications for our graduate programs will be accepted beginning in September 2016 for Autumn Quarter 2017-2018. We do not admit new full-time students for winter or spring quarters.
Beginning in September, you may access the web application and detailed instructions on the Office of Graduate Admissions website.
Required application materials:
- Online application:
- Recommendation letters: Three letters of recommendation, submitted by recommenders through the online application.
- Statement of purpose: Submitted as part of the online application.
- Resume: A resume or curriculum vitae (CV) submitted as part of the online application.
- Transcripts: A scanned copy of each transcript is submitted as part of the online application. Please include the back of the transcript, if it contains a grading scale. Please include a class rank, if available. For completed degrees, you must include a degree certificate or diploma if the transcript does not show conferral of the degree. You are welcome to include transcripts from schools you attended part-time or less than one year, if that is information you would like us to have.
- Official GRE scores: We must receive the official scores from ETS. Please notify us if the name or birthdate on your application does not match the name or birthdate on your test scores.
- Official TOEFL scores: Required of applicants whose first language is not English. Please see the Office of Graduate admissions site for exemptions and the TOEFL Waiver Request Form. We must receive the official scores from ETS. Please notify us if the name or birthdate on your application does not match the name or birthdate on your test scores.
- Official transcripts: One secure electronic certified transcript sent directly from your institution (or CHESICC) to Juanita Winkleman at firstname.lastname@example.org, or two original official transcripts, from each institution that you list in the online application must be sent. See Stanford's requirements for electronic certified transcripts. Please include a class rank, if available. For completed degrees, you must include a degree certificate or diploma if the transcript does not show conferral of the degree. Official transcripts are not required from current Stanford students.
Please send original official transcripts (if not sending secure electronic certified transcripts) by regular mail or independent courier to:
Management Science and Engineering — Graduate Admissions
Huang Engineering Center
475 Via Ortega, Suite 114
Stanford CA 94305-4121
Please do not use express, registered or certified mail that requires a delivery signature through the Postal Service, as the Postal Service is currently refusing to attempt delivery inside our building, and we cannot go to the Post Office to pick up the mail. Many packages sent this way are returned to sender. Most independent courier services will deliver inside our building, and will be accepted.
Please do not send hard copy of anything other than original official transcripts (and only then if you are not sending secure electronic certified transcripts). Everything will be evaluated online only, with the original official transcript used for verification of your upload. Please do not send a cover letter with your original official transcript, unless the name on your transcript does not match the name on your application. Thank you.
It is not necessary to consult or correspond with a Stanford faculty member regarding your application.
We frequently have trouble with Hotmail blocking email from Stanford. You may want to use a different email provider for your application. We occasionally have trouble with email we send to Gmail accounts being categorized as spam. Please be sure to check your spam folders for email from us.
You may view your application status and decision on your application activity page. Log back into your online application, and click on "Review Your Activity". We are unable to confirm receipt of official test scores and official transcripts until after an application is submitted.
Applications are not reviewed on a rolling basis; we need to review the whole application pool to determine which the top applicants. We are unable to provide reasons for our decisions.